Monday, March 31, 2014

When I Was a Kid: Music Edition

When I was a kid my mom would play Henry Mancini's Pink Panther album when I would go to bed.  I was  a restless sleeper, with an overactive imagination and for whatever reason those familiar sounds put the monsters and ghouls outside my window to sleep for the night.

I had forgotten all of this until Pandora gave me "Moon River," which I'm fairly certain was on that same album.  And then it all came back to me.  Funny how somewhere in my brain all those memories were locked away, until that song came and triggered them.  And then, like it was yesterday, I could visualize laying in my bed, looking out my door, snuggling with my cat Figaro as the music played.

Music is weird like that.  Music is as mysterious as the ocean depths.  How and why a series of sound waves resonating at certain frequencies can stir the human soul and trigger such long lost memories is far beyond my understanding.  I believe we are wired for music, for whatever reason.  And I'm glad some things in the world are still mysterious.

No comments: