But nonetheless society set me upon its course and this course I have followed thus far. Oh, I tried to deviate and my life hasn't been cookie cutter. I was the front man for a Christian rock band, but it turns out I have a horrible voice. We played 15 odd shows one summer, some good, some bad, and some that were the most embarassing moments of my life.
I also lived in Ecuador for a year, and that led to me starting and failing my own tourism business. Where am I now? I am a 24 year-old middle school social studies teacher. It's my first year, and to be honest, 90% of the time I love it. For one, I'm a history nerd and I get to talk about the Roman Republic and Robert E. Lee's brilliance on the battlefield on a daily basis. The best part though is the kids. Kids are special, and childhood is an amazing time. Their view of the world is innocent, and exciting, and often very goofy. They are very enjoyable to be around.
So what is this blog about? I'm happy where I'm at in life, being a teacher. I wanted to be a teacher since I was a junior in high school. I've also wanted to be a CIA agent, diplomat, billionaire entreprenuer, and travel writer. Though I'm happy WHERE I am in life I'm not happy with HOW I am living.
Let me catalogue my discontent:
- Often I DO NOT change the world for the better though I am given ample opportunity every day.
- I am fat. I always made fun of my dad for being fat and now I am fat. 6'3, 200 pounds.
- I have neglected my body and am out of shape. The cause of the aforementioned chubbiness.
- I fritter away days in a tired haze becuase I refuse to get 8 hours of sleep. I spend too much time watching T.V. or on the internet.
- I have exactly zero friends in the town I'm living in becuase I haven't taken the time to integrate myself.
These are just a few things I'm going to fix. So this blog is about living life to its fullest. Now I know where I don't want to be, I know where I'm going. And that's where I'm heading today. April 29, 2008. God Bless