Big words from a guy whose life revolves around money, it's easy to say that when you're loaded right? Well, he gave me a reason to believe his sincerity with some of the most spontaneous and unusual talk radio I've heard.
Towards the end of a segment about markets and investment's the host said "Money isn't important," followed by a long pause. I waited for a commercial, or for him to continue, but he didn't. I wondered what was happening. Then he came back on, in a choked up voice. "Money doesn't matter," he said again.
Fighting through tears, he recounted the story of a friend who had died unexpectedly of a heart attack. Even though the whole purpose of his show is money, he continued, that ultimately doesn't matter. In the blink of an eye your life could be over. He ended with "money, stocks, and all that, it's all crap." and then off to commercial.
Wow. You can hear the preacher tell it but you know its real coming from a man who makes his living selling financial advice. "It's all crap." Not a great way to convince people to buy mutual funds.
I say "amen." It's very true. In the end little does matter, least of all your bank account.
In honor of the Rich Life and its straight talking host I have compiled a top five* list of things that do matter in life:
- Family: No matter what else happens they're still blood and that makes them unique.
- Friends: God's greatest gift to us.
- Faith: Something bigger than us, our hope for tomorrow.
- Making a Difference Where you Can: Each of us can help in our own way. Leave the world better than how you found it.
- Living Life to the Fullest: Laughing, loving, traveling, giving, experiencing- all the things that make life good!
*I tried to make a top ten list but found it too difficult.