Saturday, July 23, 2011

Beautiful Sadness. "Maps" by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs


Part of the power of music is its ability to touch the parts of us that make us human.  The irrational, illogical, and emotional.  When a song hits the right nerve, sometimes, I'm affected by this beautiful melancholy.  It's saddness, but it feels good, healthy, even joyous.

I can't explain the paradox.  Maybe it's one of those "there's no light with out darkness, no hot without cold" phenomena, and I need the sadness to feel happiness.  Or maybe its just because I'm human and we're weird and emotional, and don't always make sense.

Pandora dug me up this the other day.  I've heard it before, but this time it hit me.  I like how simple it is.  The instruments.  Her vocals, and the lyrics.  Her emotion is very plain.  Hope you like it too.  

No comments: