Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Hypermiling

Interesting article today on CNN about hypermiling, or maximizing every drop of gasoline you put in your tank. One guy apparently gets 50 mpg out of his Honda. You can learn more about hypermilers at http://www.cleanmpg.com/. Try it out and let me know if it works from you.

Inspired by Zachary from Your Red Room, I've been trying to cut my gas consumption to save the environment and my money. I bike the 7 miles to work about twice a week, and have tried my own hypermiling recently by going only the speed limit. It's been difficult, since I enjoy the speed my '97 Carolla provides, but one nice thing is not having to worry about cops anymore. I'm only half-way through the tank, but I'll let you know how it works out.

1 comment:

Oregoncornhusker said...

Eric and I had a conversation about the best highway speed to maximize highway mpgs. He thought it was somewhere in the high 20s, I thought the slowest speed in 5th gear without lugging the engine. I'm sure the answer is out there, but until then, keep driving the speed limit, be slow off the line, and as you approach red lights start slowing down early in hopes of it changing to greeeeeeeeeeeen!